Tuesday, January 11, 2011

High Fat, Low Carb Hitting the Mainstream

You know something has finally hit the "mainstream" when it shows up in Reader's Digest, People Magazine or appears on the nightly news with Katy Couric.  I've been preaching a high fat diet (from clean sources of grass-fed animal fat ) for the past 10 years so although it's been a long wait, it's still nice to see the "mainstream" finally catching up as evidenced in the December issue of Reader's Digest.  There you'll find an interview with Gary Taubes, author of the new book, "Why We Get Fat And What To Do About It".  Gary's new book promises to be a myth-shattering examination of a century's worth of dietary advice.  I can't wait to read it!

Right now I am still working on the amazing book, Primal Body, Primal Mind by Nora Gedgaudas, but I suspect there is a very similar message being promoted.  High fat, moderate protein, low carb seems to be the wave of the immediate future and my husband, Scott, and I have decided to put it to the test.  Starting January 1st we completely eliminated all sugar and grains (actually I started back on November 1st, but Christmas threw me off a bit) and are following the high fat, moderate protein, low-carb lifestyle recommended by today's leading nutrition researchers in the fields of both weight loss and longevity sciences (anti-aging).

While we have eaten liberally of clean sources of animal fat for the past 10 years, I have struggled to give up sugar and grains and have never really understood the consequences of eating too much protein.  Primal Body, Primal Mind has neatly tied it all together for me and we are so far thoroughly enjoying the new meal plan!  I continue to lose approximately one pound each week of "baby weight" and eagerly look forward to discovering my body's new "normal".  I consistently gained 40-50 pounds with all five pregnancies so the look back to 135 lbs has gotten longer and longer each time.  However, with only 8 lbs. to go, I couldn't be more confident that "low fat" eating is NOT the answer!

Also, please understand that finding optimal health is not just all about weight loss.  On a high fat diet you will begin to heal your entire body and mind! To help illustrate and prove this, at the end of October I had a complete blood chemistry analysis and I've decided that for better or worse, I will reveal the results of those tests after I am tested again in 6 months.  Scott hasn't had "before" testing done yet, but I'm hoping I can twist his arm to join me in our own little "case study".

1 comment:

  1. Last Feb. I read "PACE" (12 min. fitness revolution). Sounds like a lot of the same info.+ how to exercise smart. I cut my work-out time 40%. Dropped 35 lbs. and down 65 points of cholesterol from 270 eating eggs fried in bacon grease or butter and grass fed beef. I gave up grains for the most part. Still indulge in more than my share of dark chocolate, good ice cream, and red wine.

    Turn that food pyramid upside down!

    ReplyDelete