Thursday, January 27, 2011

Planters Peanuts-Healthy?

One of our kids got a jar of Planters Dry Roasted Peanuts as part of a Christmas gift. I don't normally buy nuts at the grocery store because we buy our nuts in bulk but I certainly had nothing against them....until TODAY when I actually read the label.

Ingredients: Peanuts, Contains 2% or less of: Sea Salt, Sugar, Cornstarch, Monosodium Glutamate (MSG), Gelatin, Torula Yeast, Corn Syrup Solids, Paprika, Onion and Garlic Powders, Spices, Natural Flavor.

All that? Seriously??? Why can't we just have peanuts in our peanuts?? No wonder they're so tasty and you can't stop eating them!!  They're "sugarfied" (my kids love that word) and tainted with neurotoxins!

Corn Syrup and MSG (all corn-derived) have been off-limits in my kitchen for years, but things do slip in here from time to time, reminding me of the importance of being diligent in reading all labels.

1 comment:

  1. So weird you posted this today. I was just at the store contemplating the same question this afternoon. I actually found a jar of dry roasted peanuts that were unsalted and the only ingredient listed was peanuts. I was thrilled and bought the jar!

    ReplyDelete