Sunday, January 23, 2011

Very Simple Chili

Dinner tonight was long on flavor and very short on prep time.  One of the easiest, fastest, heartiest home cooked Sunday night dinners you can make is CHILI!  It's so simple you don't even need a recipe. Just follow your taste buds.  Here is what I did:

This makes a lot, but we like leftovers!
2 lbs of grassfed ground beef (browned in my cast iron skillet and liberally doused in Spike and garlic granules)
3 or 4 cans of beans (kidney, black, pinto....whatever you like. I always keep a supply of beans in the pantry so I have lots to pick from) btw-I don't rinse the beans, just throw the whole can in.
1-2 cans of diced tomatoes (Muir Glen basil and garlic is best!) 
1-2 cans tomato sauce or tomato paste (you'll need to add water if you use the paste). 
Chili Powder and Chili Pepper to taste (with 5 young kids, I have to really take it easy here)

Combine everything in a pot and let it simmer until you like the taste (20-30 minutes, the longer the better) then serve with whatever toppings you like: shredded cheese, sour cream, chopped cilantro, chopped onions etc..  Tonight the kids convinced me to serve it with grilled cheese sandwiches so they had something to dip in the chili.



No comments:

Post a Comment